**THIS PLANT COMES WITH BASIC BLACK POT**
Hugging the ground, Senecio serpens (Blue Chalksticks) is a dwarf semi-trailing succulent of great ornamental appeal with its cylindrical blue-green leaves. Senecio serpens is a small succulent that hugs the ground, branching from the base and rooting along the stems.This succulent is perfect for container gardens. If you live in an area that doesn’t experience freezing temperatures, this makes a great ground cover. When exposed to lots of sun and heat, the tips of this plant turn purple.
|Common Name||Blue Chalksticks|
|Maximum Reachable Height||Up to 1 foot, grow up to 30 cm tall, 60 cm in diameter.|
|Bloom Time||Early July|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Established plants are extremely drought tolerant. They do need some water, during the summer, but do not leave the soil wet for prolonged periods.
- Allow the soil to dry out between waterings in the winter, when they are somewhat dormant.
- Since they are growing in sandy soil, nutrients will need to be replenished.
- Fertilize annually, but lightly. Too much fertilizer will cause a lot of leggy growth.
- Taller varieties can get floppy.
- You can prune them back to where the stem is firm, in very early spring.
- You can even root the cuttings. Plants can be divided or repotted in early spring.
- If you are growing them in containers, they enjoy spending the summer outdoors.
Senecio Serpens Care
- The ground cover is one of the most valuable landscaping succulents. Forming a dense rippling mat of compact silver-blue leaves.
- Blooms in Spring with fragrant spongy creamy yellow flowers.
|Sunlight||Full Sun to Partial Shade|
|Watering||Medium , Drought tolerant in the ground once established.|
|Temperature||70 degrees F|
|Fertilizer||Apply any organic fertilizer|
Senecio Serpens Special Feature
Senecio serpens is a small succulent that hugs the ground, branching from the base and rooting along the stems. This ground cover is one of the most valuable landscaping succulents. Forming a dense rippling mat of compact silver-blue leaves.
Senecio Serpens Uses
- The plant is used for an ornamental purpose
- The plant is used as a ground cover in arid areas
- But mostly it is grown as a potted plant subject
- Its chalk-blue foliage is attractive
About Senecio Serpens
Plant in full sun
Typical water needs for a succulent
Grows up to 36″ tall (30 cm to 91 cm) tall, and can spread out to 36″ wide (61 cm to 91 cm)
Zone 9a (Minimum 20° F | -6° C)
Not cold hardy
Propagate from seeds or cuttings
Can be toxic to pets and humans