Myristica fragrans, Jaiphal Plant
Jaiphal is also known as nutmeg, jathikka, jatiphala, jathikai, jajikai. It is now grown in most tropical countries. Nutmeg is a tropical tree that must be grown outdoors, so it requires a hot, humid climate.Nutmeg is an attractive, spreading, evergreen tree with dense foliage. The branches are spreading with a dark gray bark. The leaves are shiny and oblong to oval in shape. The inflorescence appears in cymes. The flowers are small, pale yellow and bell shaped and are slightly aromatic.The fruit is fleshy, globose in shape and lemon yellow to light brown in colour. Inside the fruit is the single, glossy brown seed with a brittle shell over which is the beautiful, brilliant, scarlet, net-like (reticulated) membrane or aril known as the mace, which is very fragile and aromatic
|Common Name||Nutmeg, Jaiphal|
|Maximum Reachable Height||20 metres|
|Flower Colour||Pale yellow|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to moderate|
Planting And Care
- The plants should be shaded to protect them from sun scorch during early stages.
- Jaiphal grows best in direct sunlight with light afternoon shade.
- This plants thrive well in wide range of well drained soild viz. clay loam, sandy loam and red laterite soils.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply water probably in the morning or evening time.
- As a rule of thumb, water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of fertilizer
- Before application of fertilizer loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- During the main growing season feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location.
- Check the moisture in the soil before watering it.
- Poke your finger into the soil, if dry then apply water.
- Keep the plant in indirect light.
- Do not repot immediately after receiving it.
Adding mulch around a nutmeg tree can help the soil retain its moisture.
- Used as a landscape tree for its attractive dark leaves and fragrant flowers.
Check out other fruit plants here . Click Here!!
Disclaimer : The image is for reference purposes only. The actual product may vary in shape or appearance based on climate, age, height, etc.
All Plants, Gift Pack, Gift Section, Indoor Plants
Set of 3 Succulents in a Wooden Basket- Gift Pack-50%
All Plants, Allamanda Plant, Best Selling Plants, Flowering Plants, Ornamental Plants, Outdoor Plants
Allamanda blanchetii (purple allamanda, violet allamanda)- Plant-50%
All Plants, Desktop Planters, Gift Pack, Gift Section, Glass Pots, Wooden Pots
Round Wooden Propagation Station-18%
All Plants, Flowering Plants, Ornamental Plants, Outdoor Plants
Zantedeschia, Arum Lily, Calla Lily-20%