Gasteria Species – Succulent Plant
|Sr No.||Product Name|
Gasteria pillansii is succulent plant native to the arid winter-rainfall regions in the far west of South Africa and Namibia. It is a nice succulent plant with thick, heavily spotted tongue-like leaves. It proliferate from subterraneous stolons and forms clumps, with up to 150 plants per group and up to 1 m wide.
Roots are succulent. The leaves are fleshy, especially after rain, in two opposite rows (distichous), 20-200 mm long and 15-50 mm broad at the base, and are strap-shaped (lorate), ascending to spreading. The leaves are mottled with white spots in transverse bands, and a white cartilaginous tuberculate margin. The hard, leathery leaf tip is rounded.
|Common Name||Cattle tongue, Ox-tongue, Cow-tongue cactus|
|Maximum Reachable Height||15-20 cm|
|Flower Colour||Reddish orange|
|Bloom Time||November to April.|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Planting And Care
- Natural indirect / artificial bright light is ideal for plant growth.
- Soil should be well drain and porus.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 1 cup (Approx. 50 ml) water when the top soil (3-4 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Apply water probably in the morning or evening time.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- As a rule of thumb, water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of Fertilizer
- Before application of fertilizer loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- During the main growing season (January-March) feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
- Do not over water the plant especially when pot does not have drainage holes.
- keep away from the AC Vents.
- Do not apply water on plant leaves.
Gasteria pillansii Special Feature
Gasteria pillansii Uses
- This plant can be used as contrasting foliage in succulent plantings, cactus gardens or xeriscape plantings
- It is also pretty used as edging for dry borders and in rock gardens
- It can be kept in pots too, provided the soil drains well.
Disclaimer : The image is for reference purposes only. The actual product may vary in shape or appearance based on climate, age, height, etc.
All Plants, Hanging Basket, Indoor Cactus & Succulents, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony, Pots
Senecio jacobsenii, Trailing Jade Plant-39%
All Plants, Flowering Plants, Indoor Plants, Outdoor Plants, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony
Clivia lily (Clivia miniata)- Plant-17%
All Plants, Foliage Plants, Indoor Plants, Living room plants, Plants by location, Study table plants, Table top plants
Calathea Musaica, Calathea Bella- Plant-14%