Star fruits are juicy, crunchy and a mixture of slightly sweet and sour tastes. They are usually green when small and unripe and turn yellow when ripen. The name ‘star fruit’ was coined because of the longitudinally stretched ridges. It has a number of common names, including carambola, star fruit and five-corner. It is a small tree or shrub that grows 5 to 12 m (16 to 39 ft) tall, with rose to red-purple flowers.
The skin is edible and the flesh has a mild, sour flavor that makes it popular in a number of dishes. It comes in two main types: a smaller, sour variety and a larger, sweeter one. It is also called starfruit due to the shape of the fruit because when sliced it reveals a perfect five-point star. The leaves of the starfruit tree are arranged in a spiral pattern.
Choose a sunny area, preferably with a rich, loamy soil that is moderately acidic with a pH of 5.5 to 6.5. in order to try starfruit tree growing.
- Soil should be well drain and fertile, rich in organic content.
- Water the plant when the top soil (1-2 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- Water thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of Fertilizer
- During the main growing season feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location:
- Keep the plant in Natural direct bright Light.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Water when top soil (1-2 inches) feels dry to touch.
- Do not re-pot for min. 2 weeks after receiving it.
Disclaimer : The image is for reference purposes only. The actual product may vary in shape or appearance based on climate, age, height, etc.
All Plants, Aromatic, Best Selling Plants, Flowering Plants, Outdoor Plants, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony, Rose Plants
Yellow rose plant-20%
All Plants, Foliage Plants, Indoor Cactus & Succulents, Indoor Plants, Plants by location, Study table plants, Table top plants
Haworthia mirabilis mundula – Succulent Plant-36%
All Plants, Flowering Creepers, Flowering Plants, Outdoor Plants, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony
Bougainvillea Dwarf (Any Color) – Plant-23%