Stevia Plant, Stevia rebaudiana – Plant
|2||Round plastic pot|₹350.00
All Plants, Foliage Plants, Outdoor Plants, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony
Stevia Plant, Stevia rebaudiana – Plant-15%
Stevia is a sweetener and sugar substitute extracted from the leaves of the plant species Stevia rebaudiana.
Stevia is a tender perennial native to parts of Brazil and Paraguay that favors humid, wet environments, although the root does not tolerate standing water.Stevia is widely grown for its sweet leaves, which are the source of sweetener products known generically as stevia and sold under various trade names.
|Common Name||Candyleaf,sweetleaf or sugarleaf.|
|Maximum Reachable Height||1 to 2 feet|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Stevia Plant Uses
- The plant is used for ornamental purpose
- Stevia herb parts are very low in calories
- Parts by parts, its dry leaves possess roughly 40 times more sweetness than sugar
- This sweetness quality in stevia is due to several glycoside compounds including stevioside, steviolbioside, rebaudiosides A-E, and dulcoside
- Stevioside is a non-carbohydrate glycoside compound
- Hence, it lacks the properties that sucrose and other carbohydrates possess
- Stevia extracts, like rebaudioside-A, are found to be 300 times sweeter than sugar
- Besides, being a near-zero calorie food ingredient, stevia extracts have several unique properties such as long shelf life, high temperature tolerance, non-fermentative
Planting and Caring
- Bright direct sunlight is good for the growth of Turtle vine.
- The soil should be well drained, fertile and rich in organic content for growing this plant.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 1 cup(approx.50ml) of water when the top soil (1-2 inch) in the pot feels dry to touch.
- Do not overwater the plant.
- As a rule of thumb, water the plants thoroughly in summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
- Water should be applied preferably in the morning or evening.
Application of Fertilizer
- Before application of fertilizer loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so, it can uptake the nutrients and moisture easily.
- Apply organic fertilizer once a month.
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- Repot the plant into a slightly larger container every two years.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
- Do not overwater the plant specially when pot doesn’t have drainage hole.
- Avoid applying water on leaves in hot afternoon it may cause fungus infection.
Disclaimer : The image is for reference purposes only. The actual product may vary in shape or appearance based on climate, age, height, etc.