Pear, Pyrus communis L.
|Sr No.||Item name|
|2||Comes in a Grow Bag (5″)|
Out of stock
Out of stock
About Pear, Pyrus communis L.
The pear tree belongs to the family of the Rosaceae; its scientific name is Pyrus communis. It is a piramidal tree, round during its youth, that can reach up to 20 meters of height, although the modern varieties are trees of small size, in order to facilitate the tasks of culture and harvesting.
It lives an average period of 65 years. The trunk is high, thick and of grayish colouring, with a cracked bark and deep roots. The pear tree sprouts before the apple tree, and the flowering begins in the middle of March. It is very sensitive to spring frosts, although it bears temperatures of -20ºC during the winter. It prefers silty, healthy, aerated and deep soils.The leaves are oval, whole or in some cases finely indented. The flowers are white and sometimes pink, and they are grouped forming corymbs of 9 to 11 flowers. They are hermaphrodite, that is to say, each flower has both sexes. The fruit is called pomo, of variable shape and colour, although it is usually elongate and of green or yellowish skin, with few black and small seeds.
|Maximum Reachable Height||65 feet|
|Bloom Time||late february|
|Difficulty Level||Easy to grow|
Plum, Pyrus communis Planting And Care
- Pear grows well in bright direct sunlight. At least six hours a day.
- Soil should be deep, well drain and fertile. It can be grown on variety of soil ranging from sandy loam to clay loam.
- Poke your finger/plain small stick into the soil to check the moisture.
- Apply 1 cup (Approx. 50 ml) water when the top soil (3-4 inch) in pot feels dry to touch.
- Apply water probably in the morning or evening time.
- water is required once in a week.
- As a rule of thumb, water the plant thoroughly in the summer and reduce watering in winter and rainy season.
Application of fertilizer
- Before application of fertilizer loosen the topsoil without disturbing the roots of the plant so it can uptake the nutrients and moisture.
- During the main growing season (January-March) feed the plant with organic fertilizer once a month.
- Apply water immediately after application of fertilizer.
- Remove dead, infected or damaged plant parts and discard them away from the plants.
- For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
- Do not over water the plant especially when pot does not have drainage holes.
- keep away from the AC Vents.
- Do not apply water on plant leaves.
Initial care for 1-2 weeks after receiving plant at your location.
- Check the moisture in the soil before watering it.
- Poke your finger into the soil, if dry then apply water.
- Keep the plant in indirect light.
- Do not repot immediately after receiving it.
Special feature of Pear, Pyrus communis
Pear fruits are generally sweeter and of soft texture.
Ornamental uses of Pear, Pyrus communis
- Used as a landscape tree.
Check out other fruit plants here . Click Here!!
All Plants, Allamanda Plant, Flowering Plants, Plants by location, Plants for Balcony
Allamanda Creeper, Pentalinon luteum (Yellow) – Plants-36%
All Plants, Gift Pack, Gift Section, Glass Pots, Pots, Terrariums
Tilted Cube Glass Vase (without plant)-17%
All Plants, Indoor Cactus & Succulents, Indoor Plants
Haworthia fasciata ‘White Zebra’- Succulent Plant-26%